Tuesday, February 06, 2007

No tattoos for this solider!

Tonight at the school they had a book fair along with some free activities. David had church meetings tonight so I was flying solo. As soon as we walked into the school one of Carson's friends ran up and said come on Carson. Its hard for me to let my kids go off so I told his friend that he needed to stay with us. Carson's friend looked at me like I was weird so I thought to myself, okay give Carson some room. I asked Sam, his friend, where he was headed. He said, over to get a tattoo. Carson immediately said, "Oh, we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and we don't get tattoos." Sam then mentioned another place and I let Carson go. It wasn't long until Carson met up with us again. Its so hard to let them go off on their own that little bit. And then the moments when you hear your child's ability to make a right choice brings you such joy.

The kids would get these fake tattoos from school, the doctor's office, or birthday parties and I just didn't feel right letting them put them on their skin. So we decided or someone gave us the idea to put them on paper, notebooks, or folders. The kids get excited about doing it and they feel like they have done something good.

2 comments:

Nick + Liz said...

WHOA...way to go Carson.

Rachel said...

I know what you mean about letting them go off on their own, IT IS SO HARD! I have to try to let go a little bit too. I should probably stop watching the news. That's what freaks me out, seeing all the strange people out there.
That is so great about Carson standing up for his belief, good job Carson!