Friday, February 09, 2007

Little Miss Independent

Today the girls(Ginger and Lucy) and I went to run some errands. We first went to Costco to get gas(its cheaper there) and do a little shopping. After getting gas we went into the store, noticing I was really hungry we decided to get some pizza. I was trying to help my impulsive spending by not shopping on an empty stomach. I took my time going around and we were all getting tired. Ginger gets quite assertive in wanting to do things like push the cart. At the checkout I decided I would get a hand-dipped chocolate ice-cream bar. I had never had one and wanted to try it. So we got it and Lucy cried all the way to the car wanting it. I got them in their seats and put the groceries in the car. I decided to sit in the car and eat it with them. Lucy was to the point of refusing it until she got a taste. Ginger was in the back seat and I told her to come up front and I would share with her. She didn't want anything to do with it if she had to share. She said "I can do it Mom, I can do it." I said, "I know you can do it sweetheart but mommy needs to help some, its really messy". "I can do it, I can" she said, starting to cry a little. I said, "I know you can Ginger but your not going to do it by yourself its really messy." She then said crying, " I have hands mommy, I have hands." "Ginger I know you have hands, but mommy needs to help you", I continued. She said it a few more times with more desperation. She finally gave in and joined me after realizing she wasn't going to win. I thought it was cute that she would remind me that she had the two things she needed to do things. She is my Little Miss Independent and always has been.

When George was a baby I remember watching a mother and daughter(2 or 3 years old) in the bathroom at church and the daughter was wanting to wash her hands by herself. She was making a mess and couldn't reach anything. I thought the mother should just get in there and help even if she refused or fussed over the help. The mother turned to me and said she's my independent one. I just smiled. Thanks to Ginger I've learned not to be quick to judge. I guess I should say I'm still working on it, I am not perfect.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Jonah is wanting to do everything on his own too. Especially putting DVD's into the player. I hate letting him do this because I don't want scratches on the discs. He also has to open the van door himself, I don't mind that one so much.