Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quilting with the YW

***Warning*** ...I am not as crafty as some of you all out there.


This month in the Young Women we are focusing on the value Good Works. So in the spirit of good works we are making laps blankets for residents at the nursing home.


Monday and Tuesday I spent cutting or tearing 8 inch squares. I figured I would tear them since the edges would be frayed anyway. I did 10 yards worth of material . Then I cut 7 inch squares of batting. Wednesday night we took the hour with the YW and taught them how to thread a machine and sew some squares togther. We took 2 different patterns of material and put a piece of batting inbetween them with the good sides of material on the outside. We then sewed an "X" through the square.
My girls even got in on the job with help from a very patient young woman.

We didn't get much else done last night. It was fun to see some of the young women sew for their first time. Some caught the bug and were excited to go home and try some things. We will finish the quilts next week.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Way to go, Amanda! Great project for the young women. You are so talented!

Unknown said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I've always wanted to try quilting.