Monday, May 30, 2016

Missionary Training Center week 1

 Week 1 email...

Hey everyone. so i made it through my first week and it has really been quite the experience. i didn't cry until the day before yesterday even though i expected myself to do so way sooner. i have been learning the language every day and i never would have gotten to the level i have gotten to in a week than i would have at any other language class. this really is one of the hardest things i will ever undertake and i hope i will be able to endure to the end. my companion is a very kind and spiritually minded Filipino Elder who is actually from Manila in the Philippine Islands. the remainder of my district is very spiritual and actually quite fast at acquiring an understanding for the language. Korean is actually simple in concept but to carry it out is an entirely different thing all together. imagine how Yoda speaks like his sentence structure how its subject object verb while regular english is subject verb object. imagine it in a different language entirely and add word markers for the place a word is in a sentence and depending on if a word ends in a consonant or a vowel it car change the subject or object marker that ends a sentence. yeah its pretty confusing. we are also teaching return missionaries who pose as investigators who speak only korean and understand no english whatsoever. i was practically dead weight in these lessons becuase korean is very difficult for me to memorize and after my 3rd meeting with him i cried so hard because i couldnt let him know with all my limited knowledge of Korean how i feel about the gospel of Jesus Christ. when i would teach people who understood english, i being wise with words would use my knowledge and vocabulary to say the things i thought they wanted to hear...I never used the Holy Ghost to guide my words to tell them what they needed to hear. and in here i am learning to do just that. to put the power of the holy ghost behind my words. even now as i type this i feel a burning in my bosom that what i am doing and learning is necessary in order for me to progress in this life to be a better son, brother, grandson, cousin and future spouse to that one lucky gal...who i will hopefully find someday... anywho so in other news M. Russell Ballard came on Easter Sunday to speak to us. and it was quite moving. i have 7 1/2 more weeks here at the MTC and im sure they will be chock full of good times. what else... oh the food here is good im sure i gained 10 lbs since being here i really need to eat healthier. i can exercise pretty much every day and i know from that that i am also very out of shape from all the working and job aplications i filled out after getting out of Youth Challenge. i need to get back in shape. if you know anyone who would like to email me or would like me to email them let me know. but only if i know who they are alreay cause if i dont then its just weird. anyways i you guys are awesome for letting me email you. Thank you and Laters.

Elder Pettijohn

Pictures...
 

 

 


 


 

No comments: